Camp Creideamh Catechism Study Day
Midleton, Sat Dec 1st, 2018
This letter is being sent to all families who have been involved in Camp Creideamh (Knockadoon) since its beginnings in 2016. I hope that you and your family are in good spirits, growing in faith and rejoicing in the love of Christ and His Church.
Upto now, as you know, the Camp Creideamh team have been running summertime Catholic faith camps for teenagers. As a new idea, on Saturday 1st December 2018 we will run a 1-day catechism study session, beginning at 10.00am and finishing at 5.30pm.
This one 1-day course will include both boys and girls together. The course will cater for teenagers between the ages 12 to 18 yoa, divided into two age groups, a younger group and an older group. The leaders/teachers running the course (including myself, who will be present throughout the day) will be from among those who assisted in the summertime camps; they will already have been garda-vetted and will have received child-safeguarding training.
The 1-day study program will provide a chance for friends from the summertime camps to become reacquainted. There will be a hot meal (dinner) arranged (1pm approx) and the day will conclude with celebration of Holy Mass 4.30pm for the attendees.
Note: The venue for the study day is the Edmund Rice Centre, Midleton, P25F592. This building is next door to Midleton CBS secondary school. The easiest way to locate the building is to enter the eircode shown above into Google Maps on a smartphone.
A fee of 5 euro will be collected to cover the price of the hot dinner.
Having consulted with a number of Catholic parents, it was decided that the following topics would be appropriate and beneficial to cover in our study session:
• God’s design for human sexuality, gender (male and female) and marriage.
• Body-image and self-image.
• Navigating the world of dating and relationships. How to be a strong and secure Catholic teenager in a mixed-up world.
• Growing in the virtues of chastity, modesty and temperance. The dangers of pornography.
• How prayer and availing of the sacraments (Confession and Eucharist) are vital in the teenage years. Imitating the saints. How a personal relationship with Christ can be the foundation of all other relationships.
• Life-paths: recognising a vocation to marriage, priesthood or religious life.
• How to respond appropriately to various agendas in the area of sexuality, evident in today’s society, that are not compatible with the Catholic faith: transgenderism, the lgbt agenda, ivf, abortion, contraception, etc. This topic is for the older age group only. All teaching will correspond to what is taught in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
If you are interested in enrolling your teenage son/daughter for this 1-day catechism session then please contact me by voice or text or email by Wednesday 28th Nov. I will need to have exact numbers beforehand so please don’t leave it too late to book. Please feel free to ring me if you have any queries regarding the content of the course.
Also, while this letter is being sent to families who have already had a connection with Camp Creideamh, the 1-day session is open to other teenagers who might be interested. Please spread the word.
Yours in Christ
Fr Eamon Roche
(086 9972539, email@example.com)